Sunday, October 11, 2009

Wardrobe Delights

Flashback:

The year is 1955, and I am playing in the neighborhood in the early summer, wearing my new sneakers and my new Davy Crockett T-Shirt. The sneakers were a yearly occurrence, but always a welcome one, freeing our feet from the oxford shoes worn by children during the school year.

The T-shirt, though, was really special. Best of all, my brother had an identical Davy Crockett T-shirt. That meant that, not only could we dress as twins now, but when my brother outgrew his, I could wear that one when mine got too small. I sure felt lucky to be the little sister. It was a real two for one deal!

Flash Forward:

It is late summer 2009, and I am perusing the "name Brand" section of the Nordstrom's shoe department. Because of my orthodics, and other issues with walking, the stylish high heels and sandals are out of the question. Fortunately for me, however, this has lead me to the belief that it is not inappropriate to splurge if I find a pair of comfortable shoes that will accommodate my orthodics, and still look stylish. This might sound like a tall task for some, but in the Nordstrom's brand name shoe department, nothing is impossible.

Then I see them! Suede Stuart Weitzman loafers for half price! Red and black. Black and red. Everyone who knows me knows that I have a thing for red shoes, but the black are more practical. Red or black? Black or red? Finally it hits me, maybe I should buy them both. After all, I can't go around embarrassing my husband by wearing orthopedic shoes before I am 60! I make the purchase, and go gleefully home.

Still I wonder, were they really half-price? I go back to the mall the next week when the sale is over, and there they are, at double the price I paid. I sure feel lucky to have spotted them while the sale was on. It was a real two for one deal!



No comments:

Post a Comment