Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Sixty Years of Memories

Flashback:

Pick any year between 1950 and today, and undoubtedly on October 20 I would have been celebrating my birthday. I remember the birthday parties and the orange halloween cakes. I remember the presents from the kids, friends and family; the cards, good wishes and cakes; the years of candles blown out. I remember that when I turned 18, my parents drove up to UConn to take me to dinner at the Altneveigh Inn. I remember that my first date with John was on my 20th birthday in Paris, and that I got engaged to John on my 21st birthday. I remember that on our 50th birthdays we threw a halloween party, complete with costumes, and that Rachel missed it because she was in Israel then, and Marc had his first date with Cheryl the next day.

Flash forward:

Today I turned 60. I am glad to be alive, and to have lived to see my children married and with families of their own. I was glad to go with John to Paris to celebrate, and deeply grateful for the generosity of friends and relatives who are treating me to assorted invitations, cards, good wishes, and gifts. Although I am filled with an overwhelming variety of emotions, the predominate one is gratitude for all that I have experienced during the past sixty years, and all of the people I have known.

To me, birthday celebrations have been important. They have helped me to mark the time, and created lasting memories of the people who have been in my life. They have focused my reflections, and prompted me to pause to appreciate my life. In the next couple of months, I will be attending a 90th birthday party and a one year birthday party -- celebrating a life well lived, and the promise of young life. So to us all, whatever age we may be -- L'Chaim - To Life!

No comments:

Post a Comment